EM 말씀

Ruth 3:8-13, Let me live with greater love

관리자 0 598 2023.08.07 14:33
Ruth 3:8-13, Let me live with greater love

8 In the middle of the night something startled the man; he turned—and there was a woman lying at his feet!
9 “Who are you?” he asked. “I am your servant Ruth,” she said. “Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are a guardian-redeemer† of our family.”
10 “The Lord bless you, my daughter,” he replied. “This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor.
11 And now, my daughter, don’t be afraid. I will do for you all you ask. All the people of my town know that you are a woman of noble character.
12 Although it is true that I am a guardian-redeemer of our family, there is another who is more closely related than I.
13 Stay here for the night, and in the morning if he wants to do his duty as your guardian-redeemer, good; let him redeem you. But if he is not willing, as surely as the Lord lives I will do it. Lie here until morning.”

<Sermon Summary>
How can an empty life be enriched? Despair to hope, impossible to possible, emptiness to abundance, pain to joy? It is accomplished through the life of love given to the people by the loving God (1:8, Then Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, “Go back, each of you, to your
mother’s home. May the Lord show you kindness, as you have shown kindness to your dead husbands and to me) (Phil.1:6).

After we believed in Jesus, we received many things, such as salvation, eternal life, peace, and rest. There are times when you inevitably lose. In Ruth, when the inheritance given by God is inevitably lost, it is restored through levirate marriage with redeeming. In Naomi's household, when a man dies, his close relative (goel) buys the lost land and restores it, and marries the remaining widow to carry on the name of the deceased. Boaz is the go'el, and Ruth means the lost one. Jesus becomes that Goel, He restores what we have lost.

1. Ruth proposes to Boaz (9)
Ruth obeyed her mother-in-law's command, adorned herself, and went to Boaz's threshing floor at night to uncover her feet and lie down. Boaz wakes up in the middle of the night and finds a woman lying at his feet. Boaz reveals himself and seeks her favor.
Boaz had previously blessed Ruth. 2:12, “May the Lord give you a full reward, under his wings you have come to take refuge.” Now Ruth asks, “I am Ruth, your maidservant(bride material). Spread your skirt (a same word of ‘wings’) and cover your maidservant.” This is a polite proposal to ask you to become your groom and guardian, as I am your ‘servant’ (your bride material). Because, he says, 'because you are my redeemer (savior)'. Isn't Ruth's wit that she says she is Boaz's wife? Ruth confessed that she wanted to receive love and mercy from God through Boaz. Ruth trusted Boaz completely and entrusted her everything, her time, money, and life plans.

We are the same. I want to accept Jesus as my Lord, my Savior, and my God. We also humbly ask the Lord that Jesus accept us as his bride and give us that love. It is to entrust all our time, money, and life plans to the Lord. I bless you to believe in the Lord with an infinite trust in the Lord and a heart of complete entrustment.

2. Boaz' compliment and blessing (10-13)
Boaz compliments Ruth as he blesses it. 2:12, “May the Lord give you a full reward under his wings, who have come to take refuge.” He blesses her again and compliment the older self for choosing not to follow the younger one. And he praises, “Your kindness is greater in the end than at the beginning.” The first love is to serve her deceased husband's mother well, and the later love is to marry Boaz and restore her dead husband's family and carry on the name as greater love for him and her mother-in-law. Are you blessing and complimenting your neighbor with greater love? Thus, Boaz personally accepts Ruth's request for love. Above all, it shows the attitude of caring for Ruth. He says he will serve as wings of protection for the poor pagan widow Ruth. We know that Ruth is not obsessed with lust or greedy for property. I also know that I did not come just to ask you to fulfill your responsibilities stipulated by the law. So  he gladly accepts the proposal.

Jesus gives a heart of love to us who came to be protected under his wings, and gives us a full reward. The ‘wings’ are under the two cherubim (angels) of the Holy of Holies. It means to be protected by God's presence.
When God bestows His love and grace on people, He uses us right away. He rejoices in making us wings of God. Are you becoming the wings, strength, and comfort of the lonely?

3. Boaz' acceptance and promise (11,13)
Now Boaz accepts Ruth's proposal (11, I will do it all). And he promise to fulfill all his responsibilities as a redeemer (13, I will fulfill my responsibilities). At first, Ruth worked for Naomi (chapter 2). Now Boaz began working for Ruth.
Jesus, our Boaz, also worked for our good, and He still works. He accomplished the work of salvation for us on the cross. He still prays for us. He will fulfill all our works until the day he comes again. Phil.1:6, “For we are sure that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.” We all believe in the Lord's promises. Are you living by believing in the Lord who works for you to the end and accomplishes everything? Also, will you cooperate with the Lord to the end for the kingdom of God?

Conclusion:
The loving God (1:8) abundantly fills the empty lives of Naomi and everyone through their mutual love. Jesus sacrificed everything for us with the heart of Boaz's kindness. He will lead us to the end and do good works (Phil. 1:6). This is the road we must walk today. Let us all live as blessed saints who live together as a dream team for the kingdom of the Lord with the heart of Jesus and greater love. Amen.

Comments